Re-Position your business to stand out from the crowd. Focus on your strengths and utilise them as much as possible, never by fixing your weaknesses. Daniel Flynn, Co-founder and Managing Director of Thankyou Group says, “When you base your business around your strengths, you never have to worry about your competitors.”
Far too many fitness businesses choose to focus on what their competitors are doing, what they offer and what they charge. Unfortunately this means that after a while everyone starts to offer the same product and the same service and then the only thing left to do is compete on price. This is madness and these gyms will not survive.
What you really need to be focusing on is what makes you different, what you do well, and what you can offer that no one else can. These are the things that ultimately make you stand out from the crowd. Remember,“When you base your business around your strengths, you never have to worry about your competitors” plus you never have to compete based on market prices EVER again.
Your genius or your No.1 strength is something you enjoy doing. It is something that you excel in. It’s when time seems irrelevant and other colleagues really notice your contribution. It’s when you get the most output for the least input.
As a gym business coach, here are my 3 steps to help you Stand Out from the Crowd:
Step 1 – Don’t just be good, be great.
- Find out what your strength is by email surveying 5 clients and 5 people closest to you to get their opinion. When you work out what your secret sauce is, go to work developing that strength until it becomes your super power. Read books, take courses and surround yourself with people who also excel in that area.
Step 2 – Put it into action
- Once you have found your strength, now find a way to use that strength in your business to help others and ideally solve a problem or two. Your strength may be helping design marketing pieces, or attracting staff, it might be to retain clients, or systemising daily tasks and saving people time. What ever it is, get it into action.
Step 3 – Be known for something
- Now its time to market that strength and really ‘stand out from the crowd’. Start to position yourself now as the expert in your field and use every marketing pillar available and let your target customers know. Offer to write articles for the local paper, guest blog, put it on your website and business cards and start telling everyone you speak to. [spacer height=”20px”]So now instead of offering generic “1 week free” marketing passes, you might offer a free seminar with the “Emotion Eating Expert”. Instead of offering ‘3 Free PT Sessions’, you might offer a cheat sheet on the “10 Things You Need to Know About Power Lifting’.
Two questions for you to think about
- What is the ONE thing you do really well, that if you developed even further would help separate you and your business from your competition?[spacer height=”20px”]
- If you started tomorrow, delegating trivial ‘day to day’ tasks and started working 100% within your genius, what could you achieve?